The Aims and Purposes of the ABS provide the misson and philosophy which have guided the organization since is founding by Herbert P. Dyckman in 1932.
- To stimulate and promote interest in begonias and other shade-loving plants.
- To encourage the introduction and development of new types of these plants.
- To standardize the nomenclature of begonias.
- To gather and publish information in regard to kinds, propagation, and culture of begonias and companion plants
- To issue a bulletin that will be mailed to all members of the society.
- To bring into friendly contact all who love and grow begonias.